Subject: Re: [office] Clarification for frame formatting propertystyle:flow-with-text

Hi,

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2007 08:52:40 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software
> Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
>> There seems to be a misunderstanding.
>> I'm not proposing any new feature. The feature, namely frame formatting
>> property style:flow-with-text, already exists. I only want to state that
>> the current specification text doesn't define all use cases and I'm
>> asking to add the missing definitions to the specification text.
>
> Seems I understood you, then :)
> You propose to add implied behavioral rules to an existing feature so it works
> without configuration for your couple of usecases.

No, I want to clarify the missing use cases in the ODF specification for
this frame formatting property.

> I disagree that this is a good way to extend ODF, as I showed with a
> conflicting usecase in my previous mail already.  In other words; adding
> implied behavior is not acceptable to me.
> If you want to specify the behaviors you should create a new attribute, like I
> described in my previous mail.

Again, I don't want to extend ODF - I only want to clarify things.

I don't know, if I get the conflicting use case in your previous mail.
Is it, that the user anchored an object inside a table cell and stated
that the object should be positioned left-aligned at the page margin and
thus, in your opinion, this conflicts with clipping/capturing the object
inside the table cell?

There is no need for a new attribute. The existing attribute
style:flow-with-text expresses everything that is needed. The only thing
that was missing is, that the ODF specification text doesn't contain all
the use cases. As I already stated in my first mail, for what ever
reason our initial proposal, which introduced this frame formatting
property, was simplified too much.

I don't understand your objections.
Currently, the specification doesn't define the meaning of the frame
formatting property style:flow-with-text, if the object is anchored
inside a table cell, the page header, the page footer, a
footnote/endnote or inside another object.
I only want to clarify these use cases. I think I can do this, because I
am somehow the original author of this frame formatting property, but
somehow in the communication process to the OASIS ODF TC some stuff is
lost. Nowadays, we've improved our processes to assure that nothing is
lost on the way from the team, which is responsible for the development
of a new feature in OpenOffice.org, to the OASIS ODF TC.

Regards, Oliver.