Subject: Drawing page names (Re: [office] OpenDocument TC Meeting Minutes 2006-02-13)

On Friday 17 February 2006, Lars Oppermann wrote:
> Topic: Drawing page names
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200601/msg00052.html
>
> The spec. has a uniqueness requirement for the name of a draw:page
> Although a non-unique page (or slide) name might be a bad choice when
> building accessible documents, it does not make sense to enforce this in
>   normative part of the specification.
> A user should be able to name pages as he sees fit. There are other ways
> of uniquely identifying a page (e.g. pagenumber+name)
> Unless the A11Y SC disagrees this constraint will be dropped from the spec.
> Action: Michael to check with ASC and write errata if no objection

It was brought to my attention that the resolution of this topic is still pending.
The spec still says "the name must be unique".
However I don't think that simply removing the unicity constraint solves the problem.
It means that "draw:name is the name that the user can see", but it doesn't solve
the heart of the issue which is: how to refer to pages from <presentation:show>.
As long as this uses the non-unique page name, this feature will be broken.

I see two solutions.

Solution A:
  Using draw:id instead of draw:name in <presentation:show>, and applying
  the above resolution that makes draw:name non-unique.

  I like this solution, except that it is not backwards compatible, applications would
  have to implement "look for draw:id and fallback to looking for draw:name" when
  parsing <presentation:show>. Feasible, though.

Solution B:
  Keeping the unicity requirement on draw:name and adding a draw:display-name
  which would be the name displayed to the user. This would be consistent with
  styles, where style:name is the internal name and style:display-name is the
  user-visible name.

  This solution is easy to make backwards compatible; the display name can default to
  being the value of draw:name if draw:display-name isn't set.

A related question: what is the page ID currently used for? I didn't find anything
in the spec that was using it.