OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

office message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Re: [office] ODF TC chair, and a few other roles

Hi Florian,

Florian Reuter wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> I'm not sure what do. Am I supposed to vote here?

No. All ballots will take place in the next TC call or by an electronic 
ballot among the voting members of the TC.

I hope that helps.

Best regards


> ~Florian
>>>> Michael Brauer <Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM> 10/24/07 11:40 AM >>>
> Dear TC members,
> The OpenDocument TC was founded about five years ago. A lot of things 
> happened in the TC since then. Those things we remember are the 
> approvals of ODF versions as standards, the formations of sub 
> committees, or the approvals of major proposals.
> But there are things that happened that most of us probably do not 
> remember, or may even not have noticed. One of these things are the 
> revisions of the OASIS Technical Committee process, that have been 
> approved by the OASIS board of directors, and that aim to improve the 
> environment in which technical committees operate, and in which 
> specifications are developed and advanced to OASIS standards.
> One of the improvements that has been introduced this way after the 
> OpenDocument TC was founded is the possibility for a TC to have two 
> co-chairs rather than having a singe chair. We are successfully using 
> this option for the Accessibility Subcommittee, and the ODF Adoption TC 
> is using this option as well. When thinking about the last five years a 
> couple of weeks ago, I wondered myself whether this would be an option 
> for our TC, too. And to make it short: I would like to propose to the TC 
> that we use the option of having two co-chairs, and I would like to 
> propose to elect Robert Weir as the 2nd co-chair of the TC next to me. 
> Robert is a valuable and very active TC member for a long time, and he 
> participates in all SCs. He further is an active member of the ODF 
> Adoption TC (where he for instance organized the ODF Camp), and he is 
> very actively representing and promoting the work of our TC at 
> conferences and other opportunities. So, in short, I think our TC would 
> benefit a lot from having him in the position of a co-chair, and I would 
> be very glad if he gets your support for this position. I've talked to 
> him beforehand, and he did let me know that he would accept the co-chair 
> role if he gets elected.
> In addition to this, I would like to propose to the TC that we appoint 
> Patrick Durusau as our "official" TC editor. We all know about the 
> immense review and excellent editing work that Patrick did for the TC, 
> and about the benefit of it for the ODF specification. So, to appoint 
> him officially as TC editor only reflects the role he has for the TC 
> unofficially already for a long time now.
> While an election of Robert Weir as TC co-chair and of Patrick as TC 
> editor for sure would be very good news for our TC, there is 
> unfortunately also a bad news for the TC: Lars Oppermann has indicated 
> to me that he will not be able to continue his role as TC secretary due 
> a change of his affiliation, and furthermore will leave our TC. I'm very 
> sad about this, but would like to take this opportunity to thank him for 
> the work he did for our TC in the past. I wish him all the best for the 
> future.
> While my wish to appoint Rob Weir as co-chair of this TC and Lars' 
> affiliation change are in no way related to each other and only by 
> coincidence happen at the same time, the need for a TC secretary seems 
> to be less urgent than for a TC that only has a single chair. I 
> therefore suggest that the TC secretary duties are taken over by the 
> co-chairs of the TC, at least for moment.
> Provided that you agree to what I have proposed, how would we proceed? 
> First of all, we would conduct a vote to decide whether to elect a 
> co-chair in the next TC coordination call. This vote requires a simple 
> majority. If it is successful, I would nominate Robert Weir officially 
> for the position of a co-chair, and would set up an electronic ballot to 
> elect him as co-chair (Alternatively, we may have the ballot in the TC 
> call itself.) This ballot requires a full majority of the TC.
> As for the TC editor role for Patrick: It is the right of the TC chairs 
> to just delegate that role, but I would like to ask for your support for 
> this by having a ballot in the next coordination call.
> BTW: The scope of the metadata SC is currently only ODF 1.2, but I would 
> like to suggest that we continue this sub committee beyond ODF 1.2, and 
> ask Patrick to continue to chair it.
> Best regards
> Michael

Michael Brauer, Technical Architect Software Engineering
Sun Microsystems GmbH             Nagelsweg 55
D-20097 Hamburg, Germany          michael.brauer@sun.com
http://sun.com/staroffice         +49 40 23646 500

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1,
        D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]