Subject: Re: [office] ISO formatting rules

Rob,

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Just following up on an action item.
>
> ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2 "Rules for the structure and drafting of
> international standards" is the style guideline we'll need to follow
> in ODF 1.2.  Under PAS submission rules, our first submission did not
> need to adhere to these rules, but subsequent submissions are not
> excepted.
>
> It can be downloaded from here:
>  http://www.iec.ch/tiss/iec/Directives-Part2-Ed5.pdf
>
> In particular, note the following:
>
> -- Section 5.2 has important info on how clauses are numbered, and why
> things like "hanging paragraphs" are deprecated.
> -- Annex H "Verbal forms for the expression of provisions" has the
> rules for using "shall", "shall not", etc.
> -- Annex I should be looked at for OpenFormula for whenever we refer
> to units of measurement, such as the CONVERT() function
>
> If you have any questions, ask Patrick  ;-)

Gee, thanks! ;-)

Actually the less I have to change editorially the quicker the work will go.

BTW, I got word from ISO today that "draw:page 9.2.4.8" is an acceptable
cross reference. In a listing of cross references there is no need to
have "See/see" or even parens around the reference (in a listing of
references). Still need the parens in a sentence were the name is not
explicitly used. We distinguish the cross references by style anyway and
the "See/see," the usual "-" and parens are legacy formatting practices.

That may not sound like much but when you consider that ODF 1.2 will
have literally thousands of cross references it starts to make a real
difference both in terms of the presentation as well as in recording the