Subject: Default Style Comparison document

Dear TC members,

as announced in the last call, I have created a spreadsheet that
compares the default values we received from the implementors so far:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27367/default-styles.ods

I have created that spreadsheet with two XSLT stylesheets. That means I
can easily update it whenever we receive new or updates defaults. All
what is needed is a well formed styles.xml.

The spreadsheet lists in the first column all default style families,
the <style:*-properties> child elements they may contain, and the
attributes and child element these elements again may contain. Each
family starts with a row like "family: paragraph". The
which they appear. Below each <style:*-properties> element row, the
attributes and child elements are listed that this particular element
may have.

Example: Row 3 says that there is a default style family "paragraph",
that is, there may be <style:default-style style:family="paragraph">
element. Row 4 says that this element may have a
may have a fo:background-color element, and so on.

The remaining columns specify the value for these attributes that can be
found in the various default styles you have send in. If an attribute is
not specified in a default style, the corresponding cell is empty. If a
family is usually not supported by an application type, the cell
contains a "n/a" or "(n/a)". However, an empty cell does not necessarily
mean that a default value for that property is missing. Some properties
combine other properties (fo:margin combines
fo:margin-top/left/right/bottom), some are only reasonable if others are
specified, too, and for some properties it may be reasonable to leave
the default by intention open, because it may be taken from user
settings. So, even if we have specified defaults for all properties
where this is reasonable, some empty cells will remain.

How do we proceed? Well, I think we have already a very good coverage,
but for some families information is still entirely or partially
missing. I would therefore like to ask you to review the spreadsheet,
and to check whether you could provide the missing information for the
implementation you are working on. As I have said in the introduction, I
have generated the spreadsheet from the styles.xml files you have send
in. For that reason, the preferred way for me to receive any updates are
updated styles.xml files. This saves me from copying content from mails
into files or assembling styles.xml files manually.

Once we have completed collecting the defaults, we may start comparing
them. I assume that for most properties, the defaults used in the
applications are the same, so that there are only very few that actually
require any discussions.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten