Subject: Re: [office] Proposals for attributes that take angle values

I suspect its really called a gradian in English as well.  Grad just fitted the calculator buttons better - like deg.

Regards
Bob

----- Original Message -----
From: "robert weir" <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: 14 March 2008 03:01:48 PM

There is something called a "grad" in English, which is defined as 1/400th of a circle. Maybe you call it "gradian" or "gon" in Europe. I don't know if anyone actually uses this anymore. I remember seeing it on calculators many years ago.

Anyone know?

-Rob

	Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg <Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM

03/14/2008 08:16 AM
To 	office@lists.oasis-open.org

cc

Subject 	[office] Proposals for attributes that take angle values

Dear TC members,

please find at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/download.php/27585/08-03-14-angle-attribute-values.odt

a list of proposals that, as already discussed, add angle unit
identifiers to attribute values that specify angles.

The documents lists all attributes that specify an angle, even if no
change is required. That is, the document contains a complete list of
attributes that define angle values (unless I have overseen one).

Where the ODF specification did already specify the unit of an angle,
this is degrees. Sections 9.5.5.6 and 9.5.8.5 mention "grad", but this
seems to be a wrong translation of the German term "grad", which is the
English "degrees".

In SVG's angle data type[1], the angle unit identifier is optional and
the default is degrees. I suggest that we take over that behavior. It
matches well to our current definitions of angle values, and allows
backward compatibility with ODF1.1 documents.

SVG does not allow angle unit identifiers in its path and transform
attributes. I suggest that we take over that, too.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/types.html#BasicDataTypes

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
Sun Microsystems GmbH Nagelsweg 55
D-20097 Hamburg, Germany michael.brauer@sun.com