Subject: Re: [office] User-defined character and paragraph styles

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Warren Turkal wrote:
> For ODF 2.0+, it might make sense to only allow character properties
> in a paragraph style by referring to a named character style.

This was definitely not my intention (breaking compatibility).
I only meant: while adding the "referring to a named character style" feature,
we could either:
1) say that when doing that, no text-properties are allowed (they all come from the character style)
2) or say that it's allowed to have both text-style-name="..." and <text-properties> in order to overwrite some stuff in the parag style.

But on top of this, doing things like all existing documents do (<text-properties> only) is certainly fine
and I see no reason to ever forbid it. For user-defined styles it's fine, especially since not all applications
expose users to named character styles, and for auto-styles it makes things easier anyway.