Subject: Re: [office] Namespace 'of' for formula expressions

On Monday, 2008-04-14 10:27:04 +0800, Ming Fei Jia wrote:
> > I understand that "xmlns:of" to be a lias of "xmlns:office" just for
> > simplicity will not replace the original "xmlns:office". So to consider the
> > backward compatiblity issue, applications should support both
> > "xmlns:office" and "xmlns:of". Is it right?

Eike Rathke:
> No, 'xmlns:of' will be a new namespace introduced for recalculated
> formulas that follow the specification drafted by the formula
> subcommittee, e.g. spreadsheet formulas in the table:formula attribute.
> The specification work is informally known as OpenFormula (aka ODFF),
> hence the 'of' name. See
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?wg_abbrev=office-formula

I agree with Eike Rathke, and there's a good reason to do things this way.
It's quite possible for an application to use JUST the OpenFormula spec without
OpenDocument, or to use OpenDocument without using OpenFormula.
That kind of flexibility will make it easier to use OpenDocument or just
OpenFormula in different contexts, and thus, useful to a broader range of applications.

--- David A. Wheeler