Subject: Re: [office] Please put this discussion

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Florian Reuter <freuter@novell.com> wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
>  nah --- its a bigger scope this time than the nested-field discussion we had before.

OK.

>  OOXML-like fields as well as bookmarks are used by developers to mark parts of the document. My proposal is trying to give them a "clean" way of doing this.

OK, but "mark parts" to do what with them? To control data entry?

>  So field-marks are fo bookmarks which are controlled by scripts.  (Since OOXML-fields can be seen as special bookmarks they are also covered by bookmarks.)
>
>  A lot of developers today are using ODF-bookmarks too to mark parts of a document. They would benefit from field-marks too.

Yes, there's an obvious problem when developers feel the need to use
bookmarks to do some of this stuff. I'm just unclear on what the
distinction is between this field you are proposing and
text:meta-field. For example, I hope/expect that citations (which
Zotero typically uses bookmarks to implement in OOo) will be
implemented using text:meta-field. So how would we -- or third-party
devs -- know which one to use for which cases?

Bruce