Subject: Re: [office] YEARFRAC information

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 08:43 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> I've published detailed information on YEARFRAC, including
> a detailed definition that matches what Excel _actually_ does
> instead of what OOXML says (they are incompatible):
> http://www.dwheeler.com/yearfrac/excel-ooxml-yearfrac.pdf
> http://www.dwheeler.com/yearfrac/excel-ooxml-yearfrac.odt
>
> We now need to decide what to do with OpenFormula; this affects
> 26 functions.  The 'obvious' answer is to use the definitions that
> are actually compatible with Excel, since there are far more Excel
> .docx spreadsheets than OOXML spreadsheets
> (to my knowledge, there are no OOXML spreadsheet documents).
> If OOXML decides to stay with their incompatible basis
> definitions, we could assign new basis values for
> those algorithms, so we could handle both OOXML and .docx.
>
> We could assign basis values 16..31 as meaning "the same as
> OOXML basis 0..15"; I think we can appeal to the definition of an
> external specification if it's a standard :-).  I suggest these
> be optional.

I think we should clearly use the definitions that are actually
compatible with Excel (and use the same base numbers as Excel).

I also think that we are already assigning basis values 16 to 31 to the
algorithms currently given in OOXML, but make their implementation
optional. (I do not think we should refer to the external specification
since implementation of OpenFormula compatible programs should not
depend on possible change in such an external specification.) Since
OOXML has been approved as a standard I think it is reasonable to assume
that the current OOXML is final (and that any future changes in that
specification does not conflict with the current specs.)

Andreas
--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta