Subject: Re: [office] dynamic updates

Hi Rob,

Tables now have a dynamic refresh attribute. The specification does not say what the refresh rate metrics are (although I have not looked a the schema yet) and frankly the documentation is a bit thin. However, I believe this means that all data in the table will get refreshed.

Does this not mean that data in spreadsheets gets refreshed and redrawn based on updates from the server?

So, regarding these asynchronous updates it is our assumption that data will get refreshed visually in tables. This is not a lot different than a web page using AJAX to get data updates from a server and refreshing the UI.

So, here is the use case for a user who is blind:

A blind user will operate where they have focus. Data changes may happen in areas of the document outside the current keyboard focus point. We need to tell a screen reader how to convey this information to the user:

I would think the author may intuitively know this. Here is the section of the WAI-ARIA specifications as it applies to Web 2.0 Rich Internet Applications: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#liveregions

Also, we need to consider update rates. A flash rate of more than 3 times/second can cause seizures.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
Inactive hide details for Robert Weir/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUSRobert Weir/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUS

          Robert Weir/Cambridge/IBM@LOTUS

          06/04/2008 12:22 PM

Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>

cc

office@lists.oasis-open.org, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject

Re: [office] dynamic updatesRichard Schwerdtfeger

Hi Rich,

Where are you seeing dynamic updates? My impression was that the updates were all from the application pulling data from the server. I don't remember seeing anything in ODF where the document could register for change notifications from the database and thereby get asynchronous updates.

-Rob