Subject: Quick observation on typically

Greetings!

I am compiling the list of "typically," as well as similarly and usually
but I ran across one case that should be interesting in light of the
table/cell discussion earlier today:

> Spreadsheet applications *typically* operate on large tables that have
> a fixed application dependent row and column number, but may have an
> unused area. Only the used area of the table is saved in files. When
> application, empty rows *typically* introduce a default row (just as
> in an empty sheet), and incomplete rows are filled with empty cells
> (just like in an empty sheet).
>
> All other applications *typically* have fixed size tables. Incomplete
> rows are basically rendered as if they had the necessary number of
> empty cells, and the same applies to empty rows. Empty cells
> *typically* occupy the space of an empty paragraph.

I have added the emphasis and thought this might be relevant in light of
the used/unused area discussion.

Although I must confess the last sentence: "Empty cells *typically*
occupy the space of an empty paragraph." does give me pause. ;-)

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)