Subject: Re: [office] proposal for ODF 1.2: extension of verticalrelationvaluesfor certain anchor types

Hi Florian,

Florian Reuter wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I guess our question was a little bit too narrow.
>
> The question is rather simple.
>
> The general question is: What is an ODF app supposed to do if it encounters an invalid value for an attribute. E.g. the CSS specification says that if a CSS property has an invalid value a CSS app should treat the property as if it was not there.
>
> So what shall an ODF app do?

> a) Treat it as if the attribute was not there
> b) Try to preserve the value
> c) Treat is as if the attribute was there but overwrite the invalid value with a "default" value

Its an interesting question whether the ODF specification should require
a particular behavior here, and if so which, or whether it should be
implementation dependent what an ODF 1.2 application does if it
encounters a value that is defined in ODF 1.3 (or 2.0) only. There is
actually nothing we can do here for ODF 1.1, since ODF 1.1 is finished
already. The behavior of an ODF 1.1 application is actually
implementation defined.

Anyway, as you said already, it is also a general question that does not
effect Oliver's proposal only, but all past and future proposals. I
therefore suggest that we proceed with Oliver's proposal independent of
this discussion. If you like, you may of cause elaborate the topic further.

BTW: My understanding of Oliver's proposal is that it simply allows a
combination of two attribute values (of two attributes) that were not
allowed before. The attributes and there values do exist already.
Therefore it would not be sufficient to state what an application should
do if it encounters invalid values, but you would also have to define
how it should behave if there is an illegal combination of attributes
and values. That's a for more complex task.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten