Subject: Re: [office] Defining Alternative Glyphs

I'm reminded of an related set of proposals I heard back in 2006 at a KDE conference.

Tim Eves, at SIL International, gave a presentation on the need to add "font feature" and "alternative glyph" support to ODF, in order to better support minority languages.

You can see his presentation here:  http://conference2006.kde.org/codingmarathon/opendocumentday.php

I hesitate to go too far down the "desktop publishing" route, but if there is a good case for supporting these OpenType features, then I think we should consider it.