Subject: Re: [office-comment] Further comment on ODF_1.0_Errata_draft_3

Patrick,

It seems to me that the source of ambiguity and possible implementer
confusion is removed by deleting the parenthetical observation if it is
clear that the syntactically-allowed and the semantically-allowed values are
coextensive.  (I, for one, have my doubts about negative "physical lengths"
especially when "magnitude" is used in the explanation.).  Maybe it is
better to remove the parenthetical remark and add the statement "Note that
negative lengths are allowed.  Compare with nonNegativeLength and
positiveLength." although I would love to know how negative lengths are
treated (and I am not going to go looking at this point, trusting that the
definition of attributes having this kind of value are sufficiently
precise).

I agree that the schemata given for lengths in the ODF schema are definitive
with regard to the syntax (but notice that the non-zero constraint for
positiveLength is expressed in a comment, not in the pattern.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) [mailto:eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200809/msg00023.html
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 06:49
To: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

First, I am happy with the way that the errata has been
prepared.

I will review the content, but here is a comment.

>N0492:74 “Is zero allowed as a length in Chap 10? "A (positive or
>negative) physical length" (page 691) appears to disallow zero.”
>
>Rejected, not a defect. The expression syntax referenced from this
>definition, XSL 1.0, 5.9.11, clearly allows zero.

I would argue that this is a defect, since zero is neither postive
nor negative.  People use the phrase "non-negative integer" precisely
because of this reason.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>

--
This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: office-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org