Subject: Re: [office] Groups - proposal: preferred view mode upon opening document (08-06-08-proposal00070) uploaded

Ming and everyone else,

I like the proposal's high-level form at this point, so I am dive into
the text a little.

The text is a little weak. What do you think of the following text to
replace your Preferred View Mode description?

The manifest:preferred-view-mode attribute is meant to provide a
preference on how the author of the document would like the document
to be presented upon the document being opened. This attribute is only
applicable to the root file entry with the full path "/". <<<I don't
understand the previous sentence, so I left it intact.>>> There are 3
view modes defined in this spec: "edit", "presentation-slide-show" and
"read-only". Alternatively, a namespaced value may be used for
application specific views. Preferred view modes are not necessarily
generally applicable to all MIME types, and the default preferred view
mode is application specific.

Also, the "MIME type" phrase is inconsistent even in the snippet of
the spec document that you posted. What should we be using? "MIME
type", "mime type", and "mime-type" are all used in the spec document
snippet you gave.

We should also add some text about how each of the predefined modes
works. For instance, if a document calls for edit mode and the app
only support read-only mode, it should probably fall back to read-only
mode.

Thanks,
wt