Subject: ODF TC Comment Dispositions and Errata

I had raised my hand to solidify the work on errata and comment/defect-report dispositions, pairing up with Patrick Durusau [1].  The idea is to support the TC being responsive to comments and also compiling errata where that is appropriate.  I have also promised to get to work.  This is where I see useful first steps.

We have good advice from Robert Weir as the basis for an approach to dispositions that works for feedback from all sources, including the office-comments list.  We need to document that and identify a simple, systematic process.  (This is for our own consistency and also to provide some visibility on the accountability we wish to provide.)

As part of starting up, I propose to do two things:

1. Do a red-lining of our comments registry document to reflect dispositions of comments that are accounted for in the agreed errata.

2. Make a markup of the current errata document for use as a working document in which new errata items and dispositions are recorded over time.  This would be maintained as an evolving working draft to be reviewed in preparation for issuance of any future errata documents as committee drafts.

I am thinking it may be appropriate to use Kavi capabilities for tracking both of these as special forms of proposals (or a better category if available).  The idea is using existing support for revision tracking of successive documents as updates are made, and to have an easy way to find the latest and, if of interest, the history.

We also need too look at how we track changes between versions regarding errata and also when there is  a resolution in a new version of the ODF Standard.  That can come later but in good time for the account of changes in 1.2.

 - Dennis

[1] 2008-10-20 Minutes.  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200810/msg00112.html

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org