Subject: Re: [office] Announcement of work on ODF 1.2 metadata feature adoptions

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Svante Schubert
> <Svante.Schubert@sun.com> wrote:
>

>> 3)
>> The SWIG where rather puzzled by the usage of generated URNs in the ODF/RDF
>> examples. The web lives from URLs, so will be the Semantic Web. Aside of
>> this, there is a design rule in the "Architecture of the World Wide Web" not
>> to create alias [6]. Everybody strongly suggested to use relative URLs
>> within the package and to reference to the resources within the package with
>> URLs.
>>

> Just to remind you of why we settled on the current (admittedly
> imperfect) solution, the real issue here is what is the (stable and
> global) URI for the document?  Semantic web people not surprisingly
> tend to think in terms of the web, where a URI identifies a document
> but then can also be used to access it. But we also have to consider
> more traditional desktop use cases, where users commonly move and
> rename files.
>
> See our archived discussions.
>
> I have no super strong opinion on this issue, but it's not an easy one.

That was quick, Bruce. ;-)

I remember all our discussions, but recently I have learned from these
Web guys that a web resource should get an URL.
Why should we generate some URN for a website? We won't. Why thinking
different of an HTML document in the web than of an ODF document?

Nevertheless there still can be a package URN generated in the
manifest.rdf for our own purpose, but if we are describing a fragment
resource, we should do it within the package by a relative URL.
Resolved by the application looking at it and always resolved unique for
the context/domain of the application.
For example, if you would use the document on your desktop only, a
desktop RDF crawler could still create unique URLs for the
context/domain being your desktop.
But if you are on the web, you have the ability of world wide unique
URLs and you are as well able to locate that resource, by the same URI,
as it is an URL.
This would mean real power..

PS: There is no absolute URL in the document, only relative references..

Greetings from Beijing,
Svante