Subject: RE: [office] Data Grid Size element proposal

Warren,

By heuristics, are you referring to client code like this?

   if (number-columns-repeated == col-max) then

       {extend or shrink formatting to current client's maximum columns}

I’d call that deterministic myself, but what would you prefer?

As Florian said, something like table:number-columns-repeated="MAX_COLS" would not be backwards compatible with existing ODF 1.1 readers.

I’m open to anything that addresses the issue, preferably without introducing a breaking change.

Regards,

Doug

From: Florian Reuter [mailto:freuter@novell.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:13 PM
To: Warren Turkal
Cc: office@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Warren,

I'm comfortable with adding a *new* way of adding attributes to cells and rows for backward compatibility reasons.

I'd rather have a backward compatible solution, such that ODF 1.0/1.1 and readers get the most information -- they understand --- out of the document.

When adding a formatting for an entire row ODF 1.0/1.1 readers will ignore its and all the formatting gets lost. Do we really want this?

Regards,

~Florian

>>> Warren Turkal <turkal@google.com> 11/19/2008 6:42 PM >>>
Why not just have a way to specify formatting for an entire row?

I'm not comfortable with heuristically determining that an attribute
applied to all the columns (or rows) in one app and magically
extending it to all columns (or rows) in another app. I think it's a
really hacky solution.

wt