Subject: Re: [office] data cache, field name and source field id for datapilot table

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 23:52 +0800, Ming Fei Jia wrote:
> Dear TC members,
>
> I have created the proposal on the wiki:
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/data_cache%
> 2C_field_name_and_source_field_id_for_data_pilot_tables
> Thanks.

I have two comments regarding this proposal.

1) An additional attribute to allow an alternative name to a data pilot
field is a great idea.  I think we should extend that to field members
as well, to allow alternative names to individual field members since
that is also something that the users desire to do.

For that reason, how about changing the name of the attribute from
"table:field-name" to "table:display-name"?  That way the same attribute
name can be used for the <table:data-pilot-member> element as well.  Or
any other name that can be used both for <table:data-pilot-field> and

2) Regarding the assignment of unique IDs to each field in the data
source, you propose to use the sheet name plus the column label as the
unique ID.  Why not simply use 0-based numerical IDs?  When the data
source is loaded, I can imagine internally the data are structured in a
single tabular form anyway.  So, I would imagine using the column (or
field) indices of that internal table would make the implementation a
little simpler.  Doing that would also allow it to be used when the data
source is not on a local spreadsheet but in an external data source,
and/or the data source is cached (as in your proposal).

Kohei