Subject: Re: [office] Data Grid Size element proposal

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 15:34 -0800, Warren Turkal wrote:

> I am concerned about interop. That's not the issue here.
>

> "A reference with an explicit row or column value beyond the
> capabilities of the application shall be computed as an Error, and not
> as a reference.  Authors of portable documents may use whole-row and
> whole-column references, such as [.1:.1] or [.A:.A], to facilitate
> updating a document to large sizes."

So I guess we all at least agree that opening a file from an application
with a differnet grid size may result in different formula results.

Then how can you say that you are concerned about interoperability but
do not want it to be discoverable whether the grid size has changed?

> In a conforming application, declaring the max size of the sheet is
> pretty useless unless there is some use for relying on an error
> generated by referencing a cell outside of the application's supported
> range that I just don't see. I am open to the possibility that such an
> example exists. However, at this point, I haven't seen one.

This is ridiculous. Are you claiming that there will never be two
applications with different grid sizes? If there could be two then
clearly the larger one could use a formula that does not return an error
which the smaller one would have to calculate as an error.

There is no need for there to be a real world example available anywhere
for this to be a serious interoperability issue.

Andreas Guelzow

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta