Subject: ODF 1.2 Items, further processing

Dear TC members,

our deadline for "must have" ODF 1.2 items has closed yesterday, and I
would like to thank all TC members for their interesting suggestions.

The resulting list is impressive long. Unfortunately there are several
items that do not meet the formal requirements we have agreed (among
them was adding a formal proposal to the Wiki for all items that are
proposals), and there are a few that are either covered already by ODF
1.2, or are more implementation issues than ODF issues. But even if we
omit these, the list remains impressive long, and it is obvious that
addressing all items would take us a long time, and would cause a
further delay of ODF 1.2, which, according to the plans that TC has set
up initially, should have been completed already for a long time. The
latest rough schedule this TC has discussed was assuming that ODF 1.2
gets an OASIS standard September 2008. We are at least 6 months behind
that already.

We further have already found a SC that cares about requirements for the
next (post 1.2) ODF version. It's first deliverable is aimed for May
2009, which is not too far away. At latest at that point in time, we
will start to work on this next (post 1.2) ODF version anyway.

For that reason I would like to propose that we move all proposals and
items that are not required by the OASIS process to the next (post 1.2)
ODF version. The same applies to items which are not proposals. This
means that some things won't become part of ODF 1.2, but a later version
only. But the sooner we complete ODF 1.2, the earlier we will get  this
next version. How long it takes to complete this next version is
actually in our hands. So, if we want, we may spend far less time on it
than on ODF 1.2.

What we also have to consider here is that our main objectives for ODF
1.2 were formulas and metadata. These items have been completed, except
maybe some feedback that we received. All other proposals that we are
discussing right know go beyond these objectives.

If the above proposal appears to be too strict, we may identify the
items that must be completed as per OASIS process, and may agree that we
include other items in ODF 1.2 if and only if they are completed by
let's say December, the 31st 2008. Completed here would mean that they
are approved by the TC, and can be integrated into the specification
with little effort. Within the agenda and conference calls, the items
that are required as per OASIS process obviously would have to get
higher priority than other items.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten