Subject: Proposed Dependencies for CD Reviews: Package, ODF, Formula

In previous discussion on ramping up for publishing of the ODF 1.2 Committee Draft(s), the possibility of putting up review of the different parts as individual CDs was mentioned.

I think that is a good idea, but I think the dependencies also need to be managed and the material on which any one part depends need to be available for reference.  It strikes me that the following precedence is called for in order that the dependencies to be addressed and be reviewable:

1. ODF 1.2 Part 3: Packaging, because the main ODF 1.2 document depends on it and relies on it in various ways.  This should not be made available later than the initial CD of Part 1.  [I am assuming that the Metadata Manifest Ontology (Appendix H) goes in Part 3 as does the non-normative[?] aspect of the appendix C on file-name extensions for document (MIME) types currently in Part 1.

2. ODF 1.2 Part 1: Introduction and Schema
[Odd title - it is about far more than the schema but don't know what would be better, "Introduction and Document Format" perhaps.]

3. ODF 1.3 Part 2: Open Formula
[because it depends on and relates to 1 and 2 more than the reverse?  The coupling might not be that tight though.  It would be great to have this review as early as possible because it is all new for those who have not tracked it intimately.]

After there are committee drafts for each, the need for any additional committee drafts might be relatively independent.  I can see the possibility of a second CD for Part 2 just because it is substantial and there may be many useful comments in a first review.  It also strikes me that a second CD for Part 1 will be called for, not only because there is new material, but because there is a major reorganization and I expect this will provoke deeper review.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org