Subject: OOXML pack scheme, ODF fragment identifier and the W3C package URIdiscussion (earlier - Re: [office] Announcement of work on ODF 1.2 metadatafeature adoptions)

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for the feed-back. The package scheme is only one possible
solution to create an URI to resolve sub-content from a package (like an
OpenDocument package).
The W3C created yesterday a new mailing list regarding the topic of
package URI, where I just posted different scenarios and solutions for
package URIs [1].

The pack URL is no solution for us, because it is still only a
provisional schema at IANA [2].
As there is no package scheme standardized, I would suggest to await the
results of the W3C list.

Due to large amount of proposals, I hereby withdraw my fragment
identifier proposal for ODF 1.2 and postpone it to the successor.
You might want to do the same for your proposal as the scheme is
provisional, Dennis.

To show you the advantage of the fragment identifier approach over a
package URI, please let me give you the following preview of the
fragment proposal:
I will propose the current syntax [3] for all ODF media types and
furthermore add a mime dependent syntax to provide higher usability.
For instance for an ODF spreadsheet document a user might create an URI
with the following fragment identifier:

The sub-content of the spreadsheet
    http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods
might be resolved in the following order by an ODF aware application:

1) Abbreviation to an xml:id of the /content.xml
        http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods#someID

2) Cell Range of spreadsheet
        http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods#mysheet.B5:C7

3) Cell of spreadsheet
        http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods#mysheet.B5

4) Named Range
        http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods#someName

5) DataBase Range
        http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods#someName

6) Number as Line number of spreadsheet
        http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods#mysheet.42

7) Sheetname
        http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods#some%20sheet

8) Name of graphic (e.g. chart)
        http://www.oasis-open.org/test.ods#myGraph

Imagine the power for the user to reference a subset of any ODS document
in the web, even without having write permissions to add an ID!

But that is meant only as a preview to show the advantage over a package
scheme. The fragment identifier proposal should be discussed after
finishing ODF 1.2.

Regards,
Svante

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pkg-uri-scheme/