Subject: Action #0063 Update: Font Discrepancies

Patrick,

In the version of the ODF 1.0 Errata 01 cd03 that went to public review, all of the correction statements were changed to 10pt Arial (the font used in the remainder of the document).

In the final version (ODF_1.0_Errata_draft4i_Clean.odt) that the committee approved to go to public review, the correction statements were in a mixture of Times New Roman and Courier New.  The difference in the two fonts is substantive in one particular correction.

The correction for 9.2.19 of ODF 1.0 page 293, line 29, instructs the reader in changing from one font to another.  This no longer makes sense because the entire passage is now presented in a single font.

To do this correctly, the statement should now be

      Replace the first "the" in "the the"
      with "that".

      Replace "horizontal" with "*horizontal*";
      replace "*left*" with "left"; replace "*right*"
      with "right"; replace "vertical" with
      "*vertical*"

where all text is in 10pt. Arial except for the words *horizontal*, *left*, *right*, and *vertical* which should be in 10pt. Courier New (without the surrounding * characters).  [To be very precise, all other quoted passages should probably be in Times New Roman, but this is not done anywhere else in the Errata document.]

QUESTION

Since we are making a new first page with corrected URLs and references to the location of the Errata on the OASIS site, is it  permissible to make this typographical repair as well?

Mary, if we wanted to straighten this out, can we do it without having to go through another public review?

I apologize that I did not notice this until I was consulting the errata this past weekend.

 - Dennis

PS: There are other places where adjusting the typography would be useful, but those corrections are understandable enough without needing to be specific about where Courier New is intended.

PPS: The OASIS ODF 1.0 Standard actually uses Times New Roman in most of its text.  It would have probably been more successful if the quoted original and quoted replacement passages were in the fonts of the specification with only the non-quotation instruction phrases being in Arial.  I am *not* suggesting that we actually do that.  It might be interesting to consider for a future Errata document, but we'd have to be extremely careful.

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org