Subject: RE: [office] Embedded Metadata in <office:document>

I want to look at this single topic: understanding how the metadata
extension can work as part of an <office:document> root element on an XML
document.

1. I am not asking about whether other kinds of material are easily embedded
in an <office:document> single XML document.  My question is specifically
about the RDF metadata.  That is, is there a natural element for carrying
such elements, with no special encoding since there is a perfectly fine
XML-embedding of RDF, last time I checked.

2. Also, whether <office:document> is an uninteresting format compared to
the Zip package, it is specified as a legitimate OpenDocument Format
document representation.  In addition, <office:document> elements may appear
within <draw:object> and some other elements as some sort of embedding.  It
is also legitimate to include an <office:document> XML document by reference
from a <draw:object> and other elements.  I suppose that embeddings could be
accomplished by entity reference as well, provided that there was a way to
define entity references (and I've never seen anything that bans DOCTYPE
declarations on standalone <office:document> XML documents and on package
items such as content.xml).  [If I've missed that, please let me know where
it is in the specification.]

I am interested in whether or not RDF XML metadata should be specified to
have a place as elements, perhaps immediately in the <office:document>
content and preceding any other content, or just anywhere?

 - Dennis

SIDE NOTE: I don't want to discuss the general xml:id topic here, but I note
that there are some special cases that apply to <office:document> elements.
First, my understanding is that when an <office:document> appears as a
content element under an element such as <draw:object>, the rules for xml:id
apply to that element as just another element within the overall XML
document (e.g., a content.xml root-element XML document or a single-file or
package-item <office:document>).  I assume that is not the case when an
<office:document> XML document is linked into another document via
<draw:object> or other linkage.  I also presume that the components of a
global master document and the global master document itself are each
independent with respect to xml:id rules.  I am baffled about what the rule
should be for inclusions by entity-reference, if entity-reference is
possible at all. [I must re-read the xml:id 1.0 specification one more time
on that question.]