Subject: Re: [office] DSIG proposal - URIs, Packages, and Namespaces - Proposal CORRECTION

Hello Dennis

First of all, well spotted on the namespace.  I hadn't noticed that
OOo 3.0 had started using the new namespace..

2009/1/8 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:
> My (3) in the original note doesn't make sense because I didn't alter the
> namespace in the "e.g." phrase.
>
> I have since confirmed, by generating some signed documents in OpenOffice
> 2.4 and 3.0, that there are indeed documents in the wild that use the
> "urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:digitalsignature:1.0" namespace as
> well as  "http://openoffice.org/2004/documentsignatures"; and in both cases
> the URIs look relative but are comparable to manifest:full-path values.
> [PS: With regard to recommendations about digest algorithms, I see only
> SHA-1 being used for digests here.  The signature itself uses PKI and, in
> the case of my certificate, SHA-1 is used as part of the PKCS #1 RSA
> Encryption.  I'm not worried.]
>
> Therefore, here is my revised solution to the dilemma, with the namespace to
> be changed at once:

This solution is only required if we really see this as a dilemma.  I
admit when I first saw the use of these relative path URI's I thought
it was a bit odd, but in retrospect, I think the rationale which has
been provided is sound enough.  Indeed the 'convention' adopted has
the additional advantage that any URI's that may appear in files in
the META_INF directory must resolve to "files" within the package.
This is, in my opinion a good thing.  The only compelling reason to
allow other URI's would be if you wanted the signature to reference
something outside the package, which you wouldn't.  This is not odd.
For example, even though ECMA376 has quite a different packaging
model, I understand that the same restriction effectively applies -
signatures refer to parts within the package.

So the dilemma is not really a dilemma.  The main effect of your
proposed change would be to make existing implementations
non-compliant.  If this was necessary to solve a real problem, I would
support it, but I don't see that it is.

Regards
Bob