Subject: [office] ODF 1.2 Version Significance Proposal - Update #1

Michael, I want to respond to your remarks in in individual parts.  I will incorporate the rationale and the restatements in the proposal at <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/ODF_1.2_Version_Significance>.  I will produce a recap that combines all of these updates as the revised draft.

STATEMENT OF REQUIREMENT FOR THE FIVE office:version ATTRIBUTE ELEMENT OCCURRENCES

[January 5 proposed text (in wikiText format)[
=== 18.588 The office:version attribute ===

The office:version attribute is required for each and every <office:document>, <office:content>, <office:document-styles>, <office:document-meta>, and <office:document-settings> element in the XML documents that comprise an ODF 1.2 document.
]]

COMMENT:

This is information that we have already in the schema and the element
list  we generate from it. I'm wondering if we really have to repeat
this information in prose.

RESPONSE:

I suggest leaving this statement in, along with the initial sentence that I am adding (below), until it is clear what is normative and how readily someone who has the specification in their possession can also consult the normative schema.  This statement can be reviewed for accuracy and necessity as part of a final pass before going to Committee Draft public review.

At present, the element list does not indicate when an attribute shall occur, only that it can occur.

Appendix A of OpenDocument-v1.2-draft7-13 only refers to "OpenDocument-schema-v1.2-draft7.rng" by relative URL.  I'm not aware of anything in the current document that identifies that schema (with updated name) as normative and that specifies how that schema is to be found.

RESTATEMENT:

[January 9 proposed text:[
=== 18.588 The office:version attribute ===

The office:version attribute identifies the version of ODF specification that defines the associated element, its schema, its complete content, and its interpretation.

The office:version attribute shall be present in each and every <office:document>, <office:contet>, <office:document-styles>, <office:document-meta>, and <office:document-settings> element in the XML documents that comprise an ODF 1.2 document.  The value of the office:version attribute shall be "1.2".
]]

NOTE: I am assuming that the JTC1 normative language is to be used.  I didn't catch that in the earlier version.