Subject: Re: [office] sub chapter <office:dde-source> in chapter <text:section>lost in ODF 1.2 draft 7-13

Hi Patrick,

Ok, got it.
Thank you for your patience.

Best regards, Oliver.

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Oliver,
>
> Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> sub chapter <office:dde:source> in chapter <text:section> is lost
>> between ODF 1.2 draft 7-11 and ODF 1.2 draft 7-12.
>> I also did not found its content any more in the rest of the ODF 1.2
>> draft 7-13.
>> Any reason why this sub chapter including its content has been deleted?
>>
> The "content" or "information" was *not* deleted.
>
> See (in ODF 1.2 draft 7-12) section 4.4.1.
>
>  From 7-11 the section you ask about:
>
> ****
> The |<office:dde-source> element represents DDE linking information for
> a linked section.|
>
> |Note:|| |Because a DDE linked section contains the XML rendition of the
> DDE link's content, this information only needs to be processed if
> updated data from the DDE link are desired.
>
> Ed. Note This should be true for <text:section-source> as well. So why
> say it for one and not the other?
>
> ****
>
> Note the editor's note.
>
> Then, in 7-12 (and following) also at 4.4.1
>
> *****
>
> Sections support two ways of linking to external content. If a section
> is linked to another document, the link can be through one of the
> following:
>
>    *
>
>      A resource identified by an XLink, represented by a
>      |<text:section-source>| element
>
>    *
>
>      Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE), represented by a
>      |<office:dde-source>| element
>
> The |<text:section-source>| or |<office:dde-source>| elements occur only
> in the alternative and then as the first child element of a
> |<text:section>| element.
>
> A section that links to external content contains a full representation
> of the data, so that processors need to understand the linking
> information only if they wish to update the contents of the section.
>
> *****
>
> So while it is true that the subsection itself does not appear verbatim
> the same, the information that it was meant to convey is more usefully
> (at least in my view) reported to potential readers of the specification.
>
> Unless you wish to suggest that the semantics of the <office:dde-source>
> element, despite being defined once in the schema are different when the
> element occurs in sections versus tables? See 13.6.6 under common
> content for a fuller description of the element.
>
> I freely concede that the process of defining every element and
> attribute once makes proofing (for this round) more difficult and I work
> with several versions open at the same time, but in the long run knowing
> that if an element or attribute definition change must be made that
> while its impact must be traced out that we can make a change confident
> that is the only place where the change need be made, I think will help
> the TC as it continues to develop ODF.

> [...]

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer