Subject: Conformance Definitions

Dear TC members,

first of all, I would like to thank you for the valuable feedback I got
after we have discussed the proposal in the last TC call.

It seems to me that there are no objects for having only a single
conformance level which does not allow foreign elements and attributes,
but that there are concerns to immediately forbid foreign elements
within <office:meta> and in particular also <*-properties> elements,
where ODF 1.1 explicitly allowed these elements.

I have updated the proposal[1] to reflect this, where I have taken the
variant which did only define a single conformance level as basis.
However, I have re-introduced the notion of a strictly conforming
document, which means that there are two levels again. The one of a
conforming document, and the one of  a strictly conforming document. A
conforming document is one that does allow foreign elements and
attributes within <office:meta> and <*-properties>, and only there,
while a strictly conforming document does not allow foreign elements and
attributes at all. The differentiation is made again using a strict and
a non-strict schema. In this regards, there is no change from ODF 1.1.

The proposal further
- declares the use of foreign elements in <office:meta> and
<*-properties> to be deprecated;
- indirectly adds a requirement to document their use by declaring their
semantic to be implementation defined.
- adds a requirement that conforming producers must be able to produce
strict conforming documents on demand.

I would like to discuss the proposal, and in particular the three items
above, in the next TC call. And unless the proposal requires larger
modifications, I would like to ask for a ballot on the proposal in this
call.

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/30932/conformance-definition-proposal-v7.odt
StarOffice/OpenOffice.org