Subject: RE: [office] A few of specific examples

An interesting topic.

I will say that we are not talking about necessarily arbitrary nor
proprietary extensions (and the proposed requirement to document deviations
sounds like an interesting gate).  I am not otherwise going to address the
good-vs-evil argument.

In existing language, there is the requirement that after the described
process of elimination occurs, there be a strictly-conforming document
underneath.  I think that is strong guidance to implementers about playing
safe and also wanting to maintain interoperability (if they so desire) with
conforming consumers that will not interpret the extension.  Also, adding
strictly-compliant documents should assuage those concerns that very
communities of practice and interoperability might have about the damage to
interoperability that foreign-elements and attributes might represent.

I can see a variety of useful ways to make use of such a thing with the
understanding of what the likely foreign-element treatment will be.  I can
also see how such provisions help with down-level use of up-level documents
and even with first-step ODF 1.2 implementations that, say, haven't figured
out how to support <text:meta> or xhtml:about just yet.  (I'm not sure it is
kosher to ever call an xml:id a foreign attribute, but I'll play along with
that for now.)  I don't know why an indexer can't do that -- most have ways
to figure out what is index-appropriate content and what isn't -- and why a
strict-only scrubber can't do that too.  (It won't help know if scripts are
malicious of course, or whether there is an Easter egg or some
covert-channel payload buried in RDF markup or an OpenOffice.org
alternative-rendition binary, but so be it.)

With regard to your affirmative proposal to look at extension mechanisms, I
think that is an interesting idea for the future.  When such a mechanism has
been arrived at will be a good time to assess deprecation of the foreign
element-attribute-value provision.

 - Dennis