Subject: Re: [office] One strictly conforming document?

Hi Dennis

Clearly you have far more time to devote to to this discussion than I
so you will forgive me if my response is brief.  I am trying to
understand where this strong demand for the use of foreign elements is
really coming from.  I've heard about the X standing for extensible,
the fact that html has a <div> element and an ongoing appeal to the
metaphor of floors and ceilings.  Somehow none of it is convincing.
Is there a real use case out there which is perhaps threatened by
"lowering the ceiling" as you would put it?  I am wondering whether
there is a known implementation, or planned implementation, which will
rely heavily on this allowance - or "promise" as i have heard it most
recently described.  If so, maybe we should be discussing in more
concrete terms.

2009/2/3 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:
> Since the current ODF 1.0/IS 26300/ODF 1.1 specifications only define
> (normative) conformance that allows for foreign elements (among others), and
> you are successfully requiring strict conformance in your procurement
> policies, it seems to me that you are not disturbed, as a practical matter,
> in obtaining strictly-conformant products.
>
> I would think that having strict conformance normatively-defined in the ODF
> specification, while preserving the current overall definition, would
> support your case by a specification-defined quality.  If you don't want the
> other kind around, so be it, but I don't think having the TC do that work
> for you will solve your problem.

I have absolutely no desire or ability to prevent the "other kind"
being around.  I would just rather it be called that - the other kind
- rather than a class b conforming ODF document which was produced by
a class d3 conforming producer and which must be able to be consumed
by a a2 consumer.  I would like to see the work of the TC directed
towards a simple unity of what is an odf document.

Regards
Bob