Subject: RE: [office] Conformance Clause proposal, Version 8

The OpenFormula and Packaging parts are still being edited.  Once we get
the draft of the core part done, we'll undoubtedly have a conformance
discussion relative to each of the other parts as well, since each part
can define its own conformance requirements.  But I would expect
OpenFormula to feature prominently as a requirement.  That is why it was
created.  I think the feedback on ODF 1.0 not having a defined formula
language was unequivocal.

And I'd note as a curiosity, that OOXML neither allows arbitrary namespace
extensions, not alternative formula languages, though we've seen in recent
weeks a number of people who were vocal advocates of OOXML, now franticly
scurrying around worried that ODF might actually become interoperable by
making some of these same logical decisions.  Personally, I think their
worry is well-founded.  ODF 1.2 will become more interoperable.  But I
fail to see this as a liability.

-Rob

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 02/06/2009
09:37:33 PM:

> Bob,
>
> I can't find anything that pertains to limitations on formulas
table:formula
> with regard to conforming documents.  Is there some proposal separate
from
> version 8 of the Conformance Proposal, the ODF 1.2 Part 1 draft 8, and
the
> OpenFormula 2008-12-21 draft?
>
> Requiring prefixes doesn't seem to prevent extensions at all, since the
> namespace is not required to be one defined by the OpenDocument or
> OpenFormula specifications.  This seems to be clearly recognized in ODF
> 1.0/IS 26300/ODF 1.1 and the current drafts of ODF 1.2 and OpenFormula.
> (All implemented ODF spreadsheet documents I have ever seen use a
"foreign"
> namespace for the prefix in table:formula values.  That's one reason I
asked
> if you were granting variances to products, at least until OpenFormula
shows
> up in implementations.)
>
> Please take another look or point me to the proposal you mean.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: I agree about RDF extensibility not having anything to do with
> extensions to ODF (although some processor might do something
aggressive, it
> appears to me that the ODF Document stands on its own no matter what the
RDF
> [...]
>    syntax.
>
> I don't see anything that even suggests OpenFormula becoming the default
in
> ODF (in the case of there being no prefix), but I assume that is an
> oversight in the ODF 1.2 Part 1 draft 8.
>
> 2. Conformance
>
> This is a lengthy section.  It provides for explicitly extensions in
> formulas, restrictions to specific groups, and a wide variety of other
> variations.
>
> With regard to OpenFormula and only OpenFormula, I think this paragraph
is
> pretty clear:
>
>    Applications may implement subsets or supersets of this OpenFormula
>    specification. An application shall only claim to conform to a given
>    function, operator, or group if the application completely meets all
>    of its requirements as defined in this specification. Applications
>    may (and typically do) implement additional functions beyond those
>    defined in this specification. Applications may support additional
>    formula syntax, additional operations, additional optional parameters

>    for functions, or make certain function parameters optional when they
>    are required by this specification. Applications should clearly
document
>    their extensions in their user documentation, both online and paper,
>    in a manner so users would be likely to be aware when they are using
>    a non-standard extension.
>
>    This specification's text is written as a description of the
requirements
>    of an implementing application. However, documents (data files)
> containing
>    formulas can also comply or fail to comply with this specification.
>    Documents with OpenFormula formulas may use subsets or supersets of
>    OpenFormula. A document may reference a nonstandard function by name,

>    or depend on implementation-defined behavior, or on semantics not
> guaranteed
>    by this specification. Thus, this specification discusses what is
> required
>    for a document to assert that it is a *portable*document*. A portable

>    document shall only depend on the capabilities defined in this
> specification,
>    and shall not depend on undefined or implementation-defined behavior.
>    portable document shall only claim to conform to a given group if the
> document
>    only depends on the capabilities of the given group.
>
> I'm not sure where claims of portability and the groups claimed to be
> supported are announced.
>
> Whatever the merits of this and the remaining conformance clauses, I
don't
> see how there is a prohibition of extensions in conforming documents
with
> regard to use of table:formula namespace prefixes nor in any of the
> provisions of the OpenFormula specification.

I'm