Subject: Color/Intensity issue

Greetings!

I would really like to have all the editorial notes resolved by the next
committee draft for part 1.

I have noted a number of pending issues but I am going to need help on
resolving them.

What follows is an example of a class of comments that covers several
entries in the current text.

I have several notes that question what it would mean to have a -50%
value for a color?

I looked at the schema and the problem appears to be more widespread
than my notes would indicate.

In the schema we define "percent" as follows:

In the schema:

<define name="percent">
    <data type="string">
        <param name="pattern">-?([0-9]+(\.[0-9]*)?|\.[0-9]+)%</param>
    </data>
</define>

In the text, when we treat colors and other values, we don't say that
allowed values are limited to the range 0 to 100%.

I am reasoning that either negative percentage values or greater than
100% for colors, transparency, etc. are not meaningful.

There is a legitimate use of signed percentage for lengths (another
place where we use this definition) because I can easily see the case
where I want a length to be 200% of some other length or -50% of some
length.

However, here is a listing of the attributes where it isn't clear (to me
anyway) that allowing negative percentage values or values in excess of
100% is meaningful:

draw:extrusion-brightness

draw:extrusion-diffusion

draw:extrusion-first-light-level

draw:extrusion-second-light-level

draw:extrusion-shininess

draw:extrusion-specularity

draw:start-intensity

draw:end-intensity

draw:border

draw:opacity

style:background-transparency

svg:stroke-opacity (see comment below on this one)

draw:luminance

draw:contrast

draw:gamma

draw:red

draw:green

draw:blue

draw:image-opacity

draw:shadow-opacity

dr3d:shininess

chart:hole-size

[Comment: on svg:stroke-opacity, the schema says:

<optional>

<param name="minInclusive">0</param> <param
</attribute> </optional>

So we actually have a conflict between the value spaces that are defined
in the alternative.

That is the first option is:

0 to 1,

the second option is:

negative or positive percentage with no limit to 100%. - end comment]

To fix this general issue:

We can simply insert language for each attribute saying: The space for
this attribute is 0 to 100%, inclusive. (Simply ignoring what the schema
says and making this a prose restriction.)

OR,

We can insert the language I suggest and change the "ref" on these
attributes to a *new* value space of 0 to 100, inclusive, expressed as a
percentage. (I don't know how that would affect backwards compatibility.)

Which would give us schema validation of the values in these attributes.

My personal preference would be for the second option but I mention the
first just in case we can't change that aspect of the schema.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)