Subject: Re: [office-comment] ODF schema is faulty (ODF all versions)

Hi Makoto,

On 03/ 6/09 12:43 PM, MURATA Makoto wrote:
> Will you lose something if you replace xsd:ID and xsd:IDREF with xsd:NCName
> and drop default values?  You might not be convinced by Alex and me, but I will
> certainly continue to argue against what ODF 1.2 is doing and try to make Japan
> request changes to the schema  very strongly in the upcoming Japanese ballot.

Regarding default values: We have dropped them already. I unfortunately
missed to remove them from the current schema so far, but the TC already
agreed to do so.

Regarding replacing xsd:ID and xsd:IDREF with xsd:NCName: As James Clark
pointed out, we then would not follow the recommendation in the xml:id
specification.

So, taking it all together, we only have a choice to follow the
recommendations in the xml:id specification, or to be compliant with the
RNG Compatibility specification. Both together does not work.

Right now we are normatively referencing the xml:id specification and
are following its recommendations for RNG. We are not (normatively or
informative) referencing the RNG Compatibility specification.

Is what you request that we anyway break the recommendations of the
xml-id specification, and instead make the schema compliant with the RNG
Compatibility specification, which we are not referencing, and for which
James Clark says that it might also be a good idea to revise it to be
xml:id aware?

As users of RNG and xml:id I'm not glad that the xml-id specification
and the RNG Compatibility specification are not compatible. Things would
be much easier for us if they would be compatible. But we are the ODF
TC. There is nothing we can change about this.

> Makoto

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten