Subject: ODF 1.2: DCMI Reference for Appendix B

Rob,

I have been mining in Dublin Core, I want to suggest the use of this version, with its fixed URL:

[DMCI] DCMI Usage Board.  DCMI Metadata Terms.  DCMI Recommendation, Dublin Core Metadata Initiative, 2008-01-14.  Available at <http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/01/14/dcmi-terms/>.

This subsumes the Dublin Core Elements 1.1 under the legacy namespace used in ODF 1.x and also provides a newer namespace for terms that may be more appropriate in some parts of ODF 1.2 (and in the RDF Metadata).

Your analysis in the 2009-02-19 References document:

 - - - - - - - -
[DCMI]	-, Dublin Core Metadata Element Set, Version 1.1: Reference Description, http://www.dublincore.org/documents/dces/, Dublin Core Metadata Initiative, 2003.

We are currently citing Dublin Core Element Set, Version 1.1 with a URL that points to the (changing) latest version.  The copyright we give it (2003) suggests we meant to refer to this version specifically, which would have been current when ODF 1.0 was approved:  http://www.dublincore.org/documents/2003/06/02/dces/

Since then, Dublin Core Element Set, Version 1.1 has been revised with updated versions dated 2004-12-20, 2006-12-18, and 2008-01-14.

Note also that an earlier version of Dublin Core Element Set was approved as an ISO Standard, ISO 15836:2003.  However, this version is not freely available so I cannot confirm its contents.

We should consider citing the current Dublin Core version with the fixed URL: http://www.dublincore.org/documents/2008/01/14/dces/

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org