Subject: RE: [office] Discussion Requested: ODF <dc:creator> conflicts

Wonderful!

We need to refer to that.  It is very important that we refer to that and
not other DCMI documents, because DCMI has removed the XML provision from
its latest DCMI Namespace policy.

Here's the glitch:

1. This document you link (thank you, thank you, a thousand thanks) is a
DCMI recommendation, Guidelines for implementing Dublin Core in XML, that
was issued on 2003-04-02,
<http://dublincore.org/documents/2003/04/02/dc-xml-guidelines/>, and that is
the latest version.

2. That document, in its Recommendation 2 on use of XML Namepaces, relies on
this reference:

   [DCMINS]
   Namespace Policy for the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI)
   <http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-namespace/>

3. That links to the 2007-07-02 Namespace Policy for the Dublin Core
Metadata Initiative (DCMI) that confines DCMI Namespace as a convenient term
for a collection of URIs and nothing more, that I cited and quoted in my
note:
<http://dublincore.org/documents/2007/07/02/dcmi-namespace/>.

4. However, there is a 2001-10-26 Namespace Policy for the Dubline Core
Metadata Initiative (DCMI) which is now marked as SUPERSEDED (the shouting
is theirs).  This one is all about XML namespace, although it fails to
recognize the XML namespace rules.  (It appears to be subject to a
misunderstanding early in the life of the XML namespace recommendation that
members of XML namespaces are identified by concatenating namespace URIs and
the local names, when there is in fact no such provision or assumption in
[XML-NAMES].  Nevertheless, the 2001-10-26 Namespace Policy,
<http://dublincore.org/documents/2001/10/26/dcmi-namespace/> must be the one
that is being relied upon when the Guidelines for implementing Dublin Core
in XML were issued.

5. CLEANING UP NORMATIVE USE OF DUBLIN CORE IN ODF XML: I think the way to
navigate this is to actually reference the 2003-04-02 Guidelines document in
the ODF specification as the basis for binding
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ for our use of the Dublin Core Element Set
expressed in the value of XML elements.  We should also stipulate that the
usage in ODF is that provided for in Section 4, Simple Dublin Core, of the
guidelines with Mixing of DCM metadata with other metadata schemes (section
6 there).  Qualified Dublin Core (DCQ) should be excluded by a note, if
appropriate.

OK, good.  Now we're simply back to discussion on whether the inconsistent
specializations of <dc:creator> are enough of a problem to require remedy in
the ODF specification.

 - Dennis