Subject: RE: [office] Discussion Requested: ODF <dc:creator> conflicts

I submit that the namespace URI is sufficient only if Dublin Core says that
is the proper namespace URI for Dublin Core metadata in XML.  The Guidelines
document is the authority for that.

If there is no such authority, we should not be claiming we are using a
namespace of another specification, and we should be defining an
ODF-introduced namespace for that purpose.

I agree that the ODF implementers and ODF documents will use bindings for
the namespaces specified in ODF.

The question here is around the legitimacy of using a URI that is not under
our authority.  This is about the validity of the ODF specification, not of
the use of it (although do we want those uses to be fruit of a poisoned
tree?).

Fortunately, the DCMI Guidelines document that Rob references establishes
the namespace and that is indeed a normative reference.  What else could it
be?  It's not our namespace.

If the reference is not normative, we have no business using
xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"; as the binding throughout the
specification and in the RNG schema, with its definitions of <element
name="dc:creator"> and so on.  If you just want the semantics and not the
DCMI specification of the XML representation, don't use their XML namespace,
just as it wasn't used for <meta:initial-creator>, etc.

 - Dennis