Subject: Re: [office] Discussion Requested: ODF <dc:creator> conflicts

Hi Dennis,

On 04/02/09 19:21, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Michael,
>
> 1. WHY THE GUIDELINES ARE BETTER
>
> It is important to cite the Guidelines for use in XML because what we are
> doing is using Dublin Core in XML (not RDF, the primary application of
> Dublin Core for the Semantic Web).

My understanding is that these guidelines contain guidelines only for
the schema design phase, but none for the phase at which instances using
that schema are created or processed.

Take for instance the first three recommendation:

 > Recommendation 1. Implementors should base their XML applications on
 > XML Schemas [XMLSCHEMA] rather than XML DTDs.
 > Recommendation 2. Implementors should use XML Namespaces [XMLNS] to
 > uniquely identify DC elements, element refinements and encoding
 > schemes.
 > Recommendation 3. Implementors should encode properties as XML
 > elements and values as the content of those elements.

These are all recommendations we have followed for ODF when designing
the ODF schema (well, we use RNG rather than XSD, but I think the main
advice here is not use use DTDs).
Now, that we have the schema, no implementor of ODF ever has to care
about these recommendations any longer. They are implemented in ODF
itself already.

> The DCMI XML Guidelines document makes sufficient reference to the semantics
> and other aspects of the Dublin Core Element Set 1.1 (and later ones), so it
> is an appropriate way to be specific about the ODF reliance on Dublin Core
> in elements like <dc:creator>.

I don't think that a reference of a specific other document in a
guidelines document is sufficient. If we want to specify the semantics
of an element are those that DC defines, we have to reference the
document that specifies these semantics.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten