Subject: <number:embedded-text>

Greetings!

We say:

> The |<number:embedded-text>| element specifies text that is displayed
> at one specific position within a number.

My note:

> Ed. Note: I removed the observation that this element is different
> from <number:grouping> on the basis of “so what?” Lots of elements are
> different from others, why mention that here? If there is a good
> reason, let's say that instead.

For your reference, note the prior text from draft 6 for this element:

> The |<number:embedded-text>| element specifies text that is displayed
> at one specific position within a number. This element is different
> from a grouping separator, which appears several times within a number.
>
> This element is contained in the |<number:number>| element. The
> |<number:number>| element can contain multiple occurrences of the
> |<number:embedded-text>| element to describe text at different
> positions in the number.

Now, I may be wrong but "appears several times within a number" and
"describe text at different positions in the number" don't look very
different to me.

Is there something else that is happening that requires both
<number:embedded-text> and <number:grouping>? There may be some very
compelling difference but I don't think we have said it, yet.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

PS: Remember to make real progress we are going to need to discuss these
issues via email so I can post a summary of conclusions for approval at
our TC meetings each week.

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)