Subject: Re: [office] <style:default-style>, <style:default-page-layout>

On 04/14/09 23:41, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> If you define the attributes for a default style then you will need to
> make a specific statement about many locale dependent items such as text
> direction, decimal separators, even typeface.  Locales that use the
> defaults stated by the standard will then be able to have more concise
> markup, since they could assume the defaults.  And locales that differ
> from the defaults would require more verbose markup since they would need
> to override those defaults 100% of the time.

I agree. And in fact, even in OpenOffice.org, there is no single
universal default style, but the default style is generated based on
locale information. Further, the user has the option to specify some of
these defaults manually.

Which is to say that I'm in favor of keeping the default styles
implementation dependent.

Michael