Subject: Re: [office] <number:embedded-text>

Michael,

Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> I'm not sure if I do understand what the question is. Is it what the
> difference between <number:grouping> and <number:embedded-text> is?

Yes.
> If so: <number:grouping> specifies a text that is used to insert
> grouping characters into a a formatted number. For instance, if you
> specify <number:grouping>,</number:grouping>, and the number that is
> formatted is 1000000, the the result is "1,000,000". Please note that
> the "," character has been inserted two times even though there is
> only a single <number:grouping> element.

Good example.

How does "<number:grouping>,</number:grouping>" specify the grouping you
indicate? In other words, it specifies the "," separator but what
specifies its use? I am assuming there are other "groupings" that a user
could want to specify.
> In contrast, <number:embedded-text> just specifies a text that is
> inserted a single time into the formatted number. It can be used for
> instance to add an "cm" to a formatted number.

Well, but we say that there can be several <number:embedded-text>
elements to describe text at several locations in a number.

Is one difference that <number:grouping> specifies the "same" character
(modulo my question about placement) and that <number:embedded-text>
could insert different text at each location?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick
> Michael
>
> On 04/14/09 17:46, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>> We say:
>>
>>> The |<number:embedded-text>| element specifies text that is
>>> displayed at one specific position within a number.
>>>
>> My note:
>>>
>>> Ed. Note: I removed the observation that this element is different
>>> from <number:grouping> on the basis of “so what?” Lots of elements
>>> are different from others, why mention that here? If there is a good
>>> reason, let's say that instead.
>>>
>> For your reference, note the prior text from draft 6 for this element:
>>
>>> The |<number:embedded-text>| element specifies text that is
>>> displayed at one specific position within a number. This element is
>>> different from a grouping separator, which appears several times
>>> within a number.
>>>
>>> This element is contained in the |<number:number>| element. The
>>> positions in the number.
>>>
>> Now, I may be wrong but "appears several times within a number" and
>> "describe text at different positions in the number" don't look very
>> different to me.
>>
>> Is there something else that is happening that requires both
>> <number:embedded-text> and <number:grouping>? There may be some very
>> compelling difference but I don't think we have said it, yet.
>>
>> Hope everyone is having a great day!
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> PS: Remember to make real progress we are going to need to discuss
>> these issues via email so I can post a summary of conclusions for
>> approval at our TC meetings each week.

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)