Subject: RE: [office] <number:embedded-text>

Eike,

Your comment reminds me of a related problem.

Is there a way to over-ride the locale or specify a different locale at the
element level?

I notice that, on my operating system, I can over-ride locale default
settings and use my personal preferences (such as always using 8601-style
yyyy-mm-dd dates, 24-hour time, and so on, though I haven't gone so far as
to use UTC).  I can also choose my own separator characters, including in
number forms.

Many applications notice and honor those customizations.  Others are
inconsistent (e.g., displaying correctly but having internal logic that
expects a particular format, as when comparing dates using strings).  Some
applications also allow me to choose the rendering at the application and
even field level.

If there is no way to customize the locale behavior for number grouping, it
is very difficult to accomplish by other means, since it depends on the
number of digits in the presented value, etc.

In addition to allowing idiosyncratic usages, and perpetuating them between
processors as intended, this also allows for situations where treatment
relative to different locales occurs in the same document (e.g., when
presenting a value in the currency of another locale using the grouping
style of that locale).

I suppose this is something for ODF-next if not currently provided for.

 - Dennis