Subject: Override locale definitions (was: [office] <number:embedded-text>)

Hi Dennis,

On Monday, 2009-04-20 08:34:32 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Is there a way to over-ride the locale or specify a different locale at the
> element level?

_Which_ element's level?

Note the number:language, number:country, number:script and
number:rfc-language-tag attributes we have.

> I notice that, on my operating system, I can over-ride locale default
> settings and use my personal preferences (such as always using 8601-style
> yyyy-mm-dd dates, 24-hour time, and so on, though I haven't gone so far as
> to use UTC).  I can also choose my own separator characters, including in
> number forms.

Using the system's overrides is actually an application defined behavior
and even depends on the system the application runs on and is nothing
ODF could define. Note that probably in such case the language/country
attributes should be defined empty in an ODF file, which denotes "use
system's locale". You don't want to have ODF say "use en_US locale, but
instead of , use ' as the group separator", do you?

> If there is no way to customize the locale behavior for number grouping, it
> is very difficult to accomplish by other means, since it depends on the
> number of digits in the presented value, etc.

How would you want to customize grouping in an ODF file? Either it is on
or off for a particular value to be displayed. If on, it follows the
rules of the assigned locale, or the system's locale if none.

> In addition to allowing idiosyncratic usages, and perpetuating them between
> processors as intended, this also allows for situations where treatment
> relative to different locales occurs in the same document (e.g., when
> presenting a value in the currency of another locale using the grouping
> style of that locale).

I don't see the problem. We have *:language, *:country, *:script and
*:rfc-language-tag attributes where necessary, I think.

  Eike

--
 OpenOffice.org / StarOffice Calc core developer and i18n transpositionizer.
 SunSign   0x87F8D412 : 2F58 5236 DB02 F335 8304  7D6C 65C9 F9B5 87F8 D412

PGP signature