Subject: Re: [office] <style:default-style>, <style:default-page-layout>

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 16:46 -0400, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> Just now getting to this in my effort to clear editorial notes.
>
> Note from 15.2, the language you cite:
>
> > "If a value for the formatting property has not been found, then the default
> > style (see 15.3) that has the same family as the style that has been
> > referenced initially is checked. If it specifies a value for the formatting
> > property, then this value is taken. Otherwise an implementation specific
> > value is taken."
> There isn't any "otherwise an implementation specific value is taken."
>
> By definition the "default" style is defined by the implementation.
>
> Unless you think we are saying:
>
> 1. Defined styles
>
> 2. Default style (defined by the application)
>
> 3. Application specific value but not as part of a style definition.
>
> I am not sure I see #2 and #3 as being different, except that we do
> refer to default styles belonging to families.
>
> I do agree that what you say is a way out, although it isn't the way I
> would prefer. My preference being, perhaps in ODF-Next, to define styles
> so that some similarity in appearance can be had across conforming
> implementations. Appearance really has very little, in my view, to do
> with interoperability but that viewpoint has not carried the day. ;-)

Hi,

I think that you may be missing the point that there may be 2
implementations involved. So we have the following list of priorities:

1. defined style
2. default-style contained in ODF file (and apparently put there by the
implementation that created the file. That default style may originally
been implementation dependent but has now been fixed for this file.)
3. default style not contained in the ODF file that depends on teh
implementation reading/displaying the file.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA
Coordinator, Mathematical & Computing Sciences