Subject: RE: [office] (OASIS Issue Tracker) Commented: (OFFICE-1700) Editor Note: Section 18.258 style:font-charset

OK, I think I get it, although I think I liked the way public comments were
moved along in blocks before, where if anything received comment it was held
out for more discussion.

The current informal scheme has it be difficult to know what the status of
anything is.  It doesn't seem to take advantage of the change control and
tracking that is part of JIRA's value.  So be it.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200906/msg00302.html
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 00:38
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [office] (OASIS Issue Tracker) Commented: (OFFICE-1700) Editor
Note: Section 18.258 style:font-charset

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 06/16/2009
02:37:26 AM:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200906/msg00300.html

> RE: [office] (OASIS Issue Tracker) Commented: (OFFICE-1700) Editor
> Note: Section 18.258 style:font-charset
>
> Got it!  Michael says use resolved to mean there is a proposed
> resolution satisfactory to the proposer.  But notice that the only
> available next state is applied and that means the "resolved"
> proposal is implemented.

That is my understanding as well.

> So when does the TC get to have a say?

You can have a say whenever you want, adding a comment to the JIRA issue,
sending a note to the list, requesting discussion on the agenda, etc.
However we are not required to discuss and vote on every single JIRA issue
individually.

> Apparently we have to catch it in the next vote on making the draft
> into a cd, which is an up-down thing on the whole draft.

Remember, before JIRA we did not discuss and vote on every change to the
standard invidually.  Why should it be different now that we have JIRA?
JIRA helps us track the comments better.  But it doesn't change the TC's
draft approval process.

In any case, you can catch and report errors or disagreements or similar
whenever you want.  You don't need to wait for the CD.

I wouldn't read too much into JIRA's terms "resolved" and "applied".
Certainly "applied" means only that the draft has been amended to resolve
the issue according to the stated resolution.  It does not mean that the
change was approved by the TC.

Since most issues are not controversial, this is fine in most case.  But
if a particular issue requires more discussion, then please bring that up
on the list or request discussion on an agenda.

The alternative would be to discuss and vote on every issue.  If a large
portion of the issues were controversial then that might be the better
approach.  But given the comment distribution we have today, this is best
handle on an exception basis.

> I will stop before I say something really rude about this.

Probably a good idea.

-Rob

[ ... ]