Subject: Re: [office] table:style-name vs table:default-cell-style-name

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 13:27 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:

> As the table:default-cell-style-name cell attributes take precedence
> over those in table:style-name, the correct order would be
>
> style given in table:table-cell
> style given as table:default-cell-style-name attribute of table:table-row
> style given as table:style-name attribute of table:table-row
> style given as table:default-cell-style-name attribute of table:table-column
> style given as default-style for table cells.
>

> > So I wonder about 2 things:
> > Why are there 2 attributes for table:table-row that do essentially the
> > same thing.
>
> I hope this is clarified?

I still don't understand the difference between the two. In the list you
have quoted above, couldn't everything that is specified in
table:default-cell-style-name of table:table-row be given in
table:style-name of table:table-row instead? This still looks like
unnecessary duplication to me.

> > Why are we jumping over the table level, ie. do not have
> > table:style-name or table:default-cell-style-name attributes for
> > table:table.
>
> It isn't really needed. In fact, having the default styles at the
> columns (and/or rows) is an optimization to not have to write and read
> a style information for each cell in case an entire column is formatted
> identically. We could define that for the table level as well, but it
> wouldn't save much, maybe a few columns' attributes.

I would think it may save a huge number of column attributes. If the
column switch between two styles we now have to specify a style for
every column rather than just a default style and a style for every
second column.

Moreover, Gnumeric has a default style for each table. Currently this
cannot be saved in an ODF file.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow@pyrshep.ca>