Subject: Re: [office] JIRA: please do not close issues without setting a resolutionfirst

Eike Rathke <erack@sun.com> wrote on 07/17/2009 01:25:18 PM:

> Dear JIRA editors,
>
> Please do not close issues that have no resolution set, resolve them
> first selecting one of the available resolutions, be it "Won't fix" or
> "Invalid" or "No Action".

For open issues, I'd agree.  But we said that we would only open JIRA
issues that were genuine issues.  So a "New" JIRA issue that is found to
be a duplicate, or a discussion chatter, etc., goes directly from New to
Close states.  There are several hundred more like that, and I don't think
I want to go through the extra steps of opening taking each one through
the Open and Resolve state changes.  That would generate a lot of useless
traffic to the list as well.

> Reason is that closed but unresolved issues still appear in the personal
> lists of assigned and even open (yes) issues, though not in the global
> Closed list. It appears that one can change that only by reopening the
> issue, set a resolution and close it again.

Hmmm... I see that the Closed issues still remain assigned to a person.
But that is OK, right?  It just indicates the last person who owned the
issue.  You could define a new filter that looks for only ones assigned to
you in the New or Open states.

The default filter for the front page, when you click on a TC member's
name shows all issues, regardless of Status, where the Resolution is
"unresolved".

> If there's another way I would be delighted to know..

Unfortunately, when I go directly from, New to Close state, JIRA does not
allow me to set a resolution of any kind.  So the issue remains
"unresolved", even though status is "Closed".  This is unfortunately.

One thing we can do, once we catch up on the comments, is filter to show
only Closed/Unresolved issues and then issue a bulk operation to reopen
the issues, then open them, then resolve then, then close them  We have
852 currently in the Closed/Unresolved state, so that would result in 3408
emails to the list.   That's not good, but this could be done some
weekend.  But it might be easier to simply redefine the filters on the
project's home page.  Unfortunately, that is not something that I have
sufficient rights to do.  But we all should have the rights to define a
new filter like "My non-Closed Unresolved Issues".

Maybe Mary has an idea here.  Can we redefine the filters on the home
page, for example?