Subject: Re: [office] SVG Issues and Opportunities

Welcome Doug,

On 10/15/09 05:52, Doug Schepers wrote:
> Hi, ODF Folks-
>
> Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm Doug Schepers, W3C Team Contact
> for the SVG and WebApps Working Groups.  I've joined the ODF TC to help
> with the integration of SVG, which I hope is a goal with broad sympathy
> in this group.  I sent a long message to office-comment [1] about the
> benefits of this for both ODF and SVG (and Rick Jelliffe sent a much
> more succinct one [2]).
>
> The SVG WG realizes that this is not a one-way street.  If there is
> missing functionality in SVG that prevents it from being suitable, or
> confusion in how best to integrate SVG, then we will work on that on our
> side (I'm the editor of 2 specs that might be of interest in this
> regard, SVG Integration and SVG Connectors).

Great. Thank you.

> One specific challenge in the way that ODF uses SVG today is that it
> declares certain attributes of the Draw format as being in the SVG
> namespace; per the Namespaces in XML specification, SVG does not
> actually namespace its attributes (they are in the null NS), so in some
> sense it's not "meaningful" for ODF to do this (though I do understand
> the motivation).

Well, we are aware of this issue, and ODF actually does not use the
namespace URI defined by the SVG specification, but an ODF specific one
(urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:svg-compatible:1.0)

But, yes, it would be great if we could use some SVG attributes directly.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten