Subject: RE: [office-formula] BITAND - Normative Statements

[cc: to main list because this matters very much there too.]

Andreas,

It is my understanding that neither statement satisfies the OASIS guidelines
for conformance and normative statements.

That is, unless "implementation" is an identified conformance target in the
Conformance section of the specification.  (Apparently, "implementation"
does not imply "conformant implementation" in OASIS parlance, and
"conformant implementation" is not a conformance target unless such is
defined in the conformance section.)

I don't believe that is the case at this time.  Now, it is also the case
that the ODF 1.2 draft has not been moved to the latest template with
inclusion of a conformance section that's been reviewed to satisfy the
current OASIS guidelines.

For those who are curious what that entails, I recommend review of the
following document:
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html>
.  Perhaps the most important part of the guideline document is the
checklist in the final section.  For me, this makes the intent and the
satisfaction of that intent very clear.  The examples and then the
nomenclature differences between normative statements, conformance clauses,
and conformance targets can be explored for deeper understanding.

The Conformance Guidelines are referenced directly from the 2009-10-28 OASIS
Templates and Guidelines page, <http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/>,
directly from the OASIS Specification QA Checklist,
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/QAChecklistV2.html> at the end, and
indirectly in the OASIS Technical Committee Process that went into effect on
2009-09-01, <http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php> second
paragraph of section 2.18 and of material importance in the definition of
"Statement of Use" in Section 1 item (ai).

 - Dennis